Re: [IPk] Re: BDA Trustees

Hi Jeremy & John

I agree with what you say, it is a shame that more people don't take an
interest in who is standing.

One of the difficulties is that you are limited to the number of words you
can use to persuade people that you are an appropriate person to stand -
which is where I suppose who nominates you and where you are in the list
starts to play a role.

I guess I will have to change my name to "A Steven Sexton" :-)

>To follow on from the above, if you do apply, the person who nominates you
>plays a more important part than who you are. eg. If you were nominated by
>the chairman there is almost no doubt that you would be ellected. It is also
>unfortunate but you will have a much better chance of election if your name
>is near the beginning of the alphabet, having reviewed elections over the
>last five years on average 3 of the first 4 named people have been elected
>(only four are ellected). If you were to get your local consultant or DSN to
>propose you it can be advantageous, or a current trustee. While there are
>four places open for election this year in reality there are only two,
>because two of the nominees are virtually guaranteed election. Only about 3%
>of BDA members ever bother to vote so there is advantage to be got from
>belonging to a group (such as IP-UK) and asking them to promote you to other
>diabetics they know. It is also advantageous to have had diabetes a long
>These are just guides if anyone does stand, which I promote - the board
>needs new influences.

Diabetes Insight & Support
mailto:email @ redacted
There are No Problems only Solutions