RE: [IPk] set changes and air bubbles

> When I refill the cartridge, I take great care not to let the
> Humalog foam
> or spray at all. To achieve this, I stick the needle from my previous
> cartridge into the bottle, at the same time as I draw the insulin out
> through another needle into the new cartridge. This keeps
> everything at
> exactly the same pressure.

I liked the sound of this, so tried it out yesterday - and ended up
leeking insulin all over the tabletop! :o(

The point is, with the bottle facing down to draw out insulin from it,
you cannot always stick the 2nd needle into the air in the bottle, you
often end up with the end of the 2nd needle in the insulin.

When you suck insulin out, it's fine - air gets drawn in to the bottle
through the 2nd needle (I was very impressed at this point). Then I
found I had a largish pocket of air in the cartridge, which I
automatically pushed back into the bottle (I do not usually bother to
switch my brain on during this process, you notice), at which point of
course the pressure pushed insulin out of the 2nd needle, all over the

So how do you do this without insulin leeks, John? Do you have special
access to extra long needles or am I missing something here?

ps Anyone know of a special language that can be used to easily describe
the physics of the flow of insulin within complex pump systems? If not,
I vote we invent one, and call it "insuliniflotto"