Re: [IPk] set changes and air bubbles

>My other problem is the dreaded air bubbles.
>I have found a way of seeing them when they are in
>the actual reservoir, but I can't get rid of them.
>They tend to stick to the end of the plunger (ie the
>end furthest away from the needle) and nothing I can
>do seems to dislodge them, Wait until I connect the
>pump, however, and they miraculously disappear and go
>off down the tube, to mess up my BGs a few hours
>later. Does anyone have any tips for how to get rid
>of them once they're in the reservoir? They're the
>litte tiny ones, which are probably OK on their own,
>but I have a feeling they all join up once they
>disappear down the tuning - they certainly ahve an
>effect on my BG.

Di -

A few random thoughts:

If you keep the pump so the cartridge is always pointing down, the bubbles
can't get into the tubing.

When I refill the cartridge, I take great care not to let the Humalog foam
or spray at all. To achieve this, I stick the needle from my previous
cartridge into the bottle, at the same time as I draw the insulin out
through another needle into the new cartridge. This keeps everything at
exactly the same pressure.

If, for whatever reason, it does start to foam, I chuck the whole cartridge
out, and start again.

I always store my current bottle (or the next bottle I will use) at room
temperature, and suck air out of the bottle using the old cartridge and
needle, so it's at negative pressure. This will reduce the amount of air
dissolved in the insulin. Otherwise, this dissolved air has a tendency to
come out of solution once it comes into contact with the inside wall of the
cartridge. A bit like pouring Coke into a dry glass.

Ultimately though, there will always be the air from the dead-space between
the plunger and the tip of the needle. I just draw the insulin in nice and
slowly, so this air stays up at the top. I can usually get most of it to
coalesce into one lump with a few sharp flicks. But checking that the
bubbles have indeed all gone certainly requires a keen eye, and is a bugger.

If you wiggle the plunger from side to side with the cartridge almost full,
air can leak in past the pair of rubber seals. This a special risk of this
when loading the cartridge into the pump.

to be very convenient (and unorthodox). You stick a large needle from the
previous cartridge through the thick rubber plunger, whilst drawing the
entire contents into your cartridge through the other end.

Sorry no answers, just thoughts :-)

mailto:email @ redacted