Re: [IPk] DKA how soon?

----- Original Message -----
From: John Neale <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Thursday, 03 February, 2000 16:24
Subject: [IPk] DKA how soon?

> >Maybe I'm different from the normal diabetic but I do not think I would
> >in a DKA(?) coma after 18 hours without insulin. If that is the normal
> >surely nobody would be diagnosed with type1 diabetes without going into a
> >coma?
> Have you ever tried it Jeremy? When first diagnosed, you still have
> residual insulin production capacity. It's merely fallen below a
> sustainable level. A few years after diagnosis, you will certainly produce
> no insulin at all. So if you are on soluble insulin alone, you will have
> zero insulin in your blood 18 hours after disconnection. So your body
> chemistry goes haywire. Some are more sensitive than others to this, but
> the acidity of all those ketones will fairly quickly incapacitate most
> people.
> John
Sorry to disappoint you John but yes, I have been in situations where I was
not able to get insulin for over a day. Also your definition of getting
diabetes applies ideally to type2 diabetes, but not (to most) type1, the
theory behind causes of type1 is that the body's immune system kills the
islets of langerhands, it does not take years to do that, if it did we would
all be sufferring from colds for years. I agree it does not do it
immediately but it does not take very long. I also agree this does not
explain why pregnant women who get diabetes tend to recover for a variable
period of time after giving birth, but the medical profession also have not
got a satisfactory explanation.
I had a brother who died because diabetes was not diagnosed, it was
diagnosed as heat exhaustion. It did not take him years to die after first
becoming unwell, but he also did not go into a coma for some time. If the
islets died gradually over a period of time it would be possible to control
to control type1 diabetes in the same way as type2, for some time,
furthermore there would have medical attempts to rescue the not dead or
poorly performing islets? If diabetes is caused by the immune system going
wrong, why do islets carry on dying after (as in many cases) the person has
recovered from whatever caused the immune system to activate itself?
Just about the only thing the medical profession has not changed its view
about, concerning diabetes is that type1 concerns the death of all islets,
fairly quickly. I refer you to the book 'The Discovery of Insulin', in there
you will see pictures of two children before and after insulin, they had
both had diabetes type1, for several months and looked little more than skin
and bones, but had not been comatose!
I cannot agree with you, I have met people who have said their control was
terrible and had had bgs in the 30s, often, but had not been comatose. I
refer to the query I made, on occasions my bg has been in the 20s but have
not had any ketones in my urine.