Re: [IPk] BDA Trustees & subjects

Hi John, Jeremy

Some of you may or may not be aware that work has started on the Diabetes
National Standards Framework (NSF), which is to advise the Government on
the "practical, implementable and sustainable standards for the delivery of
care, focused on the needs of people with diabetes"

The NSF is looking at all aspects of diabetes care and one of the issues
that I raised at a recent meeting was that of treatment regimes and the
inclusion of pump therapy as an option to be offered to people with
diabetes, this was done in slightly broader context of establishing the
most appropriate treatment regime for the individual.

At the moment there is a lot of work going on in gathering
information/research, as a lot of advice has to be based on clinical
evidence.  I have no idea what the final outcome will be but for the moment
it is on an important agenda.

There would still be the question of funding to be addressed and pressure
would need to be applied to a number of bodies, including NICE.  If the
Diabetes NSF includes pump therapy  then it may become easier to obtain

As I said above, at the moment it is a question of gathering information
and I am in the process of contacting a number of people/organisations to
obtain that information.

At 22:59 03/02/00 , you wrote:
> >I'll write to them all tonight.  As I'm not a pumper yet, my emphasis
> >will be on NICE and funding difficulties.
>I have got funding by leaving the country. Others get funding by curious
>routes. Many just have to pay for it all themselves. I think it is time we
>stop messing around, and demand that the BDA campaign actively for the fair
>provision of pump therapy to all, based on need and not on ability to pay.

Diabetes Insight & Support
mailto:email @ redacted
There are No Problems only Solutions