[IPk] Dahedi pump

Hi everybody!
Can anybody please help me with the following question?
I have a DAHEDI 25D100. As i was out for swimming yesterday, it seemed to me as if the pump is not tightly fitted up. I means the pump works well, but as i returned home and had  to change the battery, it was all wet inside the battery input. The battery seems to be "killed" by the water.
Does anybody have had the same experience and could give some info to me?
Thanks so much, Kai