In message <email @ redacted>, Michael
<email @ redacted> writes
>> [1] This is a can of worms, I know. The GI theory suggests that
>> equal amounts of carbohydrate from different foods do not raise the
>> bg by equal amounts - which rather challenges the whole concept of
>> taking meal insulin in proportion to the carbohydrate. But there we
>> are!
The main problem is, GI works one way for type 1s (the well, 5g is 5g
carbs, and it will raise your bg by X, albeit a glucose tab will do that
in Y minutes, and porridge will do it in Z hours).  For type 2s, there
is a subtle twist: because they still produce insulin, and indeed, some
over-produce insulin, there can be enough 'trickle' production to make
the 5g of glucose show up as a rise, but the porridge show no rise at

A secondary problem is that some people find their insulin resistance
increases as their blood glucose increases.  So while, for example, they
may find that 1 unit of insulin is fine to cover X grams of
carbohydrate, taken with a starting bg of, say 5, if they take the
insulin later (or take carbohydrate which peaks sooner), and effectively
start with a higher bg, they will end with a much higher bg (if they
don't take more insulin).  The opposite (taking insulin too soon, or
eating food which peaks later) could mean that hypo followed by rebound

GI studies have shown, unfortunately, that not only do individuals vary
in absorption, but also an individual foodstuff can vary widely in
combination.  GIs should, therefore, be used only as a guide, much as
measurement of exercise is, when deciding how much insulin to inject,
and when, and not used in the way that carbohydrate assessment is used.

Some people (myself included) find that the proportion of calories from
carbohydrate is a much more reliable indicator of speed than the GI of
the principle carbohydrate component.  Teachers of GI usually don't
mention this, perhaps (big grin here) because it is
based on information which is on the back of every cornflake packet,
etc.  And because (even bigger grin) it assumes that carbohydrate
assessment is the primary measure of assessment, and this is something
which is to be avoided at all costs.
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)