Re: [IPk] brittle diabetes

>I'd rather see someone with the most up to date knowledge, but failing this
>the non judgemental view is preferable in my opinion- i'd rather someone at
>least acknowledged the difficulties being faced by the patient and accepted
>that it wasn't necessarily their fault.

For years I'd assumed that my "problems" were my own fault, and caused by
my not sticking to "the diet", by not eating similar foods at exactly the
same time each day, not exercising regularly, not going to bed and getting
up at the same time, and so on. If I was unwilling to force myself into
this strict diabetic regime, then what right did I have to complain to my
various doctors about my bad hypos and crazy blood sugar levels? If I made
too much of a fuss, they might discover that I was not being a "good boy"
and not doing all the things that every good diabetic knows is important.

Ho hum.

Then I grew up a bit, tried an insulin pump, and discovered that the
failings were not my failings, but failings of the whole long acting
insulin system. AND NO DOCTOR HAD EVER SUGGESTED TO ME THAT THIS MIGHT BE
THE CASE.

Brittle diabetes... excellent term. Went out of fashion in the 1980's. Not
sure why. Perhaps because they couldn't establish whose diabetes was
uncontrollable because they were unwilling to take their injections every
day, and whose diabetes was just uncontrollable. A lot of people have
insulin needs that change sometimes from day to day. You need flexible
tools to handle this. Last year my consultant suggested to me that my
diabetes is to some extent brittle, since I am quite sensitive to having
just the right amount of insulin. That's fine by me: I have the tools to
handle it.

John

--
mailto:email @ redacted