Re: [IPk] brittle diabetes

In message <001401c09842$ffac0160$email @ redacted>, Abigail King
<email @ redacted> writes
>The term seems a bit of a cop out but at least they;re taking a non
>judgemental stance and not labelling the patient as irresponsible, non
>compliant etc.
You are right - better to get a diagnosis of 'brittle diabetes' than of
'non-compliant diabetic'.

I note that there have been a couple of mentions on the list recently of
doctors who tell patients that it's all their fault, and then ask the
upset and frustrated patient if they are 'tearful' or 'depressed'.  This
strikes a chord with a case going to industrial tribunal at the moment
where a line manager is accused of bullying by asking a stressed staff
member (show me a local authority manager who isn't stressed, and I'll
have his or her job, please) if the were suffering from a mental

It's a very difficult area, ethically, as the Good Doctor will, of
course, be aware that patients may have mental illnesses as well as
diabetes, and that they may not be diagnosed, and will want to pick up
on these just as they would carbon monoxide poisoning, or chicken pox,
or anything else which isn't their bailiwick.  But the approach, or even
the unwitting appearance of the approach 'you would be a good diabetic,
if wasn't for the fact that your mental illness is preventing you from
being compliant' routine is bullying.

In one of our professional journals, we have an ethics page, where we
can ask such hypothetical questions - it's partly a soft whistle blowing
exercise - do doctors have the same?  And could you do it?

Best wishes,

(currently trying to decide whether to spend tomorrow on a serious
house-cleaning exercise, or whether just to tidy up until I find the
catalogue where I can order biohazard tape)
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)