[IPk] auto driving license in the UK

I have a  question not specifically related to pumping( I am a d-pumper for
about the past 9 years and have very good control
and I always check my blood glucose level before I get in the car to drive,

I need some advice obtaining a UK driving license.
I am living in the UK for the next two years, on assignment from the US,
work for IBM.,
and need to obtain my UK provisional license
within  6 months.
what do I need to know that might affect my driver's license application,
insurance, etc.?
right now I am using my California license and I have insurance thru AA.

Bob Weitzman