Re: [IPk] funny turn today whilst driving

Hi Christine and others,

I don't believe the definition of a TIA varies from place to place.
And what makes it a TIA (transient ischaemic attack) is that the
symptoms are transient. But this does not necessarily mean that there
are no related findings on eeg or CT or MRI images - there may or may
not be - this is why these tests may be done.

I agree with you that one should see an expert, but wanted to make the
point that not all 'funny turns' are TIA's or strokes - which indeed
might require quick initiation of treatment. But Tricia was checked
immediately by an experienced and careful GP who ruled out the
symptoms of a TIA or stroke - if there had been anything suspicious
she no doubt would have been referred urgently for further
investigation rather than 'wait and see'. So if I understood
correctly, she was wondering about diabetes related conditions which
might cause these sort of symptoms.

Tricia, (apologies for writing about you in the third person and as
'she' in the previous paragraph) thinking along non-stroke lines, did
they do any blood tests to check that your electrolytes and other
things were in the normal range? one can have weird episodes due to
electrolyte imbalance. Did you recently change any medications?
anything else you did differently? do you often drink strong coffee?

Nanette