Re: [IPk] funny turn today whilst driving

Hi Tricia,

Do get it checked out further, but remember that not everything is a
TIA or stroke. Do you think you were shaky because finding yourself
driving without control was so scary, or because of the 'funny turn'?
It might or might not be a bit like something that happened to me
years ago, and was not a TIA or stroke - nothing showed up on CT or
eeg.
It was a sort of 'absence' - unlike you I was not aware - possibly a
type of mini-seizure, although nothing showed on the eeg. And the
results were worse in practice than yours though, since it happened
when I had just got into the car after work in an indoor carpark, I
remember starting the car, then reaching out my hand to switch on the
car radio, then next thing I knew the car drove quite gently into a
pillar in the carpark - I had driven just a few yards, apparently on
'automatic pilot', towards the exit from the car park, and had turned
left as if I were parked in my usual place - in fact I was parked in a
slightly different spot, so went into the pillar - probably just as
well. And I had checked my BG just 5 minutes before and checked again
immediately after, so know it was not due to being hypo.
I went to see a top neurologist (one of those times when it is an
advantage to work in a hospital), and he was the one who described it
as an 'absence', which fitted so well with my experience, said such
things can happen, that the longer time elapses without it recurring
the more likely that it won't ever recur - it's now 9 years ago, and
thankfully no recurrence. I did drive home very cautiously immediately
after it happened, but didn't drive for a while after - but returned
to it eventually, though I have to confess that I am still sometimes
haunted by what happened then, and how it could have been so much
worse.
Best of luck getting it sorted out
Nanette