Re: [IPk] Very high HbA1c

Hi Tricia
I haven't got used to the new scale for HbA1c yet - but 74 = 8.9, Ok,
that's higher than you would like - but 20 - 42 is VERY low (4.0 to 6.0).
My consultant is happy if I am below 7.5 which would be 58.  (I am retired
too)

I don't want to throw yet another variable into the works - but do you
exercise?  That can affect your BGs at intervals for a long time afterwards
- eg if I go for a run Sat morning - my BGs will be Ok in the afternoon
then tend to go low Sat evening, then OK overnight and low again mid
morning Sunday. Other people may have different patterns, Like Di, I either
test a lot or use CGM.

When you went low 3 hours after breakfast - had you been doing more than
usual? - even a bit of gardening or energetic housework tends to do that
for me, especially as my breakfast is quite high carb and therefore there
is a lot of insulin on board. So I try to plan ahead and reduce the bolus
beforehand, or else I need to snack.

It's possible the low is causing your liver to release glucose, so you get
a rebound high even if you haven't over compensated.

Sorry, I hope this is useful and you don't feel bombarded with stuff you
already know.  Every time I feel things are sorted, something else changes
- I understand how frustrated you must feel.

Good luck - chase the CGM up - I am sure that would help you.
Barbara R