Re: [IPk] Very high HbA1c

Hi Tricia
Do you think it's mostly post-meal that you're getting problems?
If so, there are a number of things to try.
First, if post-meal results are unpredictable, and you think your carb
counting is pretty good, then you might consider gastroparesis as a
possibility? Or some other digestion-related issue.

In the short-term, you could try going lower carb and seeing if that
helps (in general, the fewer the carbs, the less fluctuation you should
get in your post-meal BG, unless your basals are wrong of course).

Good luck - I'm also one of those people who gets wildly fluctuating BGs
- on seemingly identical days I can have a post-breakfast BG of 17 or 3.
I manage by testing a lot (usually at least 10 times a day) and trying
to keep the carbs down (not always easy with a highly active and
unpredictable lifestyle with lots of travelling!)

Di

On 08/12/2013 16:46, cherrycottage wrote:
 > Does anyone have any bright ideas? My last HbA1c was 74. (Should be 20 -42).
 > did have a traumatic couple of months but it has never been much below 9 in
five
> years.
>
 > My Diabetic Clinic is in the flux of personnel change at the moment and my
DSN
> through friendly just said recently that they have people like me who are
> retired, have non routine lives and never get a reasonable control!
>
 > I do fasting tests when I can get a reasonable BG to start with and adjust as
> instructed. Recently I adjusted carb to insulin from 8 to 7 with quite good
> success and have some quite good days.
>
 > Today I had my exact normal breakfast and went to 2.9 at three hours. I try
not
> to overdo the correction.
>
 > Lunch was small piece of bread, my daughters home made veggie soup and about
 > two Tablespoons of M&S salads which I calculated at 40g. Plus as an
afterthought
 > a gooseberry fool with another 20g as on the packet. 2.5 hours later 17.4.
Now I