[IPk] Pump Funding Criteria

I went to see the Diabetic Nurse at my local hospital today and asked her
about pump funding.  She told me that whereas pumping funding used to be
decided every four yours, the life of the pump, it is now decided annually!!
The decision about whether further funding will be made for a patient rests
in the hands of a non-clinician! Why?  This person is only interested in
HbA1c results regardless of the health benefits you may have reaped from
being on the pump!  So it doesn't matter that I haven't had background
retinopathy for the last three years, only what my HbA1c is!  Apparently
this person wants to see improvements with each 6 monthly review.  Though I
imagine there must be a point at which you can't improve much more.

I can understand funding being withdrawn if patients don't really make any
progress with their pump, but where people have improved their score since
they were on the pump, this should be taken into account even if they don't
reach the gold standard.

I really think that Diabetes UK should know about this and put up a fight on
our behalves.  I intend to write to them to apprise them of the situation.

Anyone got any thoughts on the above?

Suzanne Allen