Re: [IPk] My BG won't come down!

On 29 Dec 2004, at 18:21, Smith, Beverley wrote:

> When this happens to me I check
> regularly through the day and aim for 8 or 9 (rather than the 4-6 I
> usually
> aim for) to try and stop me crashing with a hypo and then when I go to
> bed I
> set the alarm and check it around 2 or 3 am.

Will do, and take more Novorapid then if necessary.

>   There is little else you can
> do.  My episodes like this are perhaps 2 or 3 times a year and are
> usually
> due to infection or stress.  Occasionally however I do have a complete
> baseline shift when my Lantus (or whatever it used to be) would
> suddenly
> require adjusting by 3 or 4 units at a time.  This would cause a
> similar
> effect but did not resolve itself in a couple of days.  This would
> happen
> perhaps twice a year and for what reason I have no idea.  Sometimes up
> and
> sometimes down but always without warning.

I guess I'm lucky not to have had this before!  I did have the
permanent effect you describe once, a few months after diagnosis, when
my insulatard (as it was then) went up from 10u per night to about 16.
I couldn't believe it needed to be that high and so it took me weeks to
get it right!  I was also having problems with high morning levels at
the same time, which led to me being switched to Lantus.  My Lantus
intake until now has stayed at around 16-18u per night.  I adjust it
every few weeks but seldom by more than 1u at a time.

Thanks,

	Eleanor