RE: [IPk] My BG won't come down!

Hi Eleanor

I think we have probably all had episodes like this when it takes a lot more
insulin that usual to bring down BG's and it is a problem when you go to bed
because you don't want to give yourself more than double the amount of
Lantus just because you have required more than double the amount of short
acting insulin throughout the day.  When this happens to me I check
regularly through the day and aim for 8 or 9 (rather than the 4-6 I usually
aim for) to try and stop me crashing with a hypo and then when I go to bed I
set the alarm and check it around 2 or 3 am.  There is little else you can
do.  My episodes like this are perhaps 2 or 3 times a year and are usually
due to infection or stress.  Occasionally however I do have a complete
baseline shift when my Lantus (or whatever it used to be) would suddenly
require adjusting by 3 or 4 units at a time.  This would cause a similar
effect but did not resolve itself in a couple of days.  This would happen
perhaps twice a year and for what reason I have no idea.  Sometimes up and
sometimes down but always without warning.

You live and learn

Bev

38 yo, IDDM 28 yrs. Pumper 2 years now back on MDI