Re: [IPk] Airport security - revisited

Hi guys -

Back in Germany now after an acceptably pleasant week with my
parents-in-law in Chester. Only one major row with my father-in-law
about whether my 3-year-old son should or shouldn't go out wearing a
coat. Excuse me, he is my son, and if I say he wears a coat, he does.
That's non-negotiable. Hey ho. Perhaps we've been in Germany too long
- we've started to adopted German habits and standards...

Anyhow... I only narrowly avoided total disaster on the pump front.
Remember how I vaguely mentioned I'd travelled "lite"? Well, I'd been
there 2 days, and the "Lo Battery" warning came up on my pump. I've
got boxes of batteries back in Germany, and being a stubborn old sod,
I refused to go out and buy any in Britain. So I went into low energy
consumption mode. No backlight, never using audio boluses. (Although
I do accept that pushing insulin out of the pump is what actually
consumes most of the power.) I also didn't have an emergency syringe
in my bag - that seems to have disappeared at my last bag clear out.
So I was actually sailing very close to the wind. Silly me. But in
the event I got back to Germany safely before the batteries gave up

Then on Christmas morning (still with almost flat batteries) I was
woken at 4:30am not by our 3-year-old son Christopher unpacking his
stocking, nor by Father Christmas, but by my pump alarm going off!
Out of insulin. In the general stress and chaos that seems to typify
these occasions, I'd forgotten to check it before I went to bed. So I
tiptoed into the bathroom (so as not to wake my wife and son) and
refilled my reservoir. BG was 15. Had I missed quite a lot of basal
rate? Dunno. But I took 5 units as correction, and when I woke at 8am
it was about 8. Christopher had been told that if he saw Father
Christmas, Father Christmas wouldn't leave any presents at all - so
when he woke up he was frightened to check his stocking, in case
Father Christmas was still around somewhere. Ah, the joys of

On the return flight (Manchester-Zurich) my bags, pump supplies,
presents etc received no attention from anybody, and I passed
straight through checkin/customs/security unharrassed.

My morning basals seem to have settled down. Or rather my body is
happy with what it's getting... So no more drama to report on that

Oh, and Happy New Year to everyone :-)

mailto:email @ redacted