Re: [IPk] Pump Funding

Hi John,

This is very interesting.

I'm in Scotland, and you will probably be aware that Health is a devolved
matter under the Scottish Parliament. (That said, I would hope this is an
area where it would be acknowledged by the "powers that be" that there needs
to be consistency throughout the UK. The Scottish equivalent of NICE did,
after all, fully endorse the NICE guidelines last year.)

In the Lothians, where I stay, we have recently been advised that those who
were existing pump users when the guidelines took effect will receive a
one-off payment of #500.00 sometime (soon?) which is meant to cover 6 months
consumables(!!) to 31st March 2004. I understand (although I might be wrong)
that people who went on to a pump after the guidelines took effect will not
receive any funding yet. The Trust advised us that this funding was money
they had been able to find and have stated there is no guarantee of funding
beyond 31st March 2004.

I - and, I am sure, the other pumpers in the Lothians - would be interested
to receive more information from you about the legal situation. In addition,
do you know if Trusts in England are backdating funding to either the date
of the NICE decision or the date the person went on the pump, whichever is

I'd like to add my thanks for all you do on behalf of insulin pumpers
throughout the UK.