[IPk] Re: honeymoon period

I agree with you that there is not much point in knowing whether
initial use of insulin is low because of a honeymoon period or because
this individual is currently very sensitive to insulin for whatever
reasons. Either way the situation can change without warning! such is
life with DM!
In my case, I had a C-peptide test in order to check how much if any
residual insulin synthesis was occurring, since had there been
significant insulin synthesis, I might have been eligible (after
undergoing several more tests) for a clinical trial of a new vaccine
which had given good results in initial trials that was supposed to
prevent further destruction of pancreatic beta cells, thus preserving a
at least a 'cushion' of physiological insulin synthesis. In my case,
the C-peptide test indicated there were none to preserve, but did
indeed tell me that I was not in honeymoon, but simply someone who is,
and so far, 6 years later, has remained, quite sensitive to insulin.

Nanette -
who has just spent a day with our eldest daughter who gave birth
yesterday morning to twins, a boy and a girl - our first grandchildren
- quite amazingly beautiful and wonderful - so I am likely not to
participate much in the list the next weeks while doing my best to
provide help and support. Interestingly, my daughter's pregnancy has
provided me with a strong motivation for achieving better diabetes
control to avoid complications. Unlike my two grandfathers who did not
have the options available today, and both died in 1946 of
complications of diabetes before I was born, I want to be there for my
grandchildren - even more so after setting eyes on them finally.