RE: [IPk] FreeStyle vs One Touch Ultra Smart

Hi there,

I will be having lunch with some Lifescan marketing managers in the first
week of the new year and I shall write back with up-to-the-minute news! It
is bleeping frustrating that it can take so long for meters to get launched
in the UK than it does for them to be released in the US.

Speaking as one who switched from the One Touch Ultra to the Therasense
Freestyle back in September, I will spout about the Freestyle for a moment.

It's a good meter, but it takes 7-15 seconds rather than 5 flat. The .3
microlitre sample size beats the Ultra's .5 microlitre sample. I like the
fact that the Freestyle uses different technology ('coloscopy' from the
other meters on the market--Therasense has a patent on it...more on
http://www.therasense.com). I found the finger pricker that the Freestyle
comes with to be pants, so I did a little tailoring on my Freestyle meter
case. I took in the finger pricker holder so my beloved BD pricker would not
keep falling out. I also added a strip of velcro to the pocket behind the
mesh zippy pocket. It's obvious that the Freestyle case comes from the same
company that makes cases for the Ultra, but it's not as useful straight out
of the box. I can't wait for the Freestyle Flash (see the US website:
http://www.therasense.com)!!! I may even get one by stealth....

Type 1 10+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 4 days
Oxford area contact, INPUT