Re: [IPk] Airport security - revisited

email @ redacted writes:

> I am a bit concerned about travelling to Oz next week because I have heard
> that their security is as tight as anywhere in the world, let alone trying
> to adjust my pump basals!
Hi Ingrid,

I've recently returned from a wonderful holiday in Oz and have corresponded
recently in relation to this. Like you I wear my pump on the outside and it is
often mistaken for a phone or pager. On this trip, the only problems I had
 with the pump were in Singapore, where it set off the alarm (but once told what
it was the security staff were satisfied), and adjusting basals. I had a
 chaotic time with the latter on arrival but on return followed some tips from
group which worked - I stayed up as long as I could and when I went to bed and
then changed my basals to what they would be at "normal" bedtime, my body
 seemed to accept this and only needed a little fine-tuning over the next day or
two (and as my basals vary from 0.3 to 0.9 per hour I'd consider this a
 success). On arrival in Oz I didn't declare my needles etc and had no trouble,
 the chap in front who did was given the Spanish inquisition, had to take all of
them out and say exactly how many there were etc!  Personally I'd do the same
again (but I might just count my needles before I went...:-) ). This only
happened on entering the country, no problems with domestic flights or on

Hope you have a fantastic trip,

IDDM 30+ yrs, 508 3 yrs