[IPk] Airport security - revisited

Flew to England yesterday, from Zurich. CrossAir flight (subsidiary
of SwissAir - or whatever they call themselves now). Regarding pump
and airport security, I have almost nothing to report. As usual I
paid almost no attention to my pump at all - when you have a wife and
two small children and cases packed with Christmas presents your
priorities do shift! I'm in England for a week (travelling back on
Christmas day of all days...). I had packed all my pump stuff -
handful of infusion sets, 2 reservoirs, 2 bottles of Humalog, and a
box of test strips (enough for a 100 tests) in my leather brief case
thing. That was duly passed through the scanning machine. I was then
politely drawn aside and asked to open my bag. What they were
interested in (of course!) was my brand new laptop (Mac PowerBook
G4). Once that was out they passed the bag through the machine again,
and everything was OK. But they had to check the laptop. The lady
went off and returned with what looked like a hairdryer! And
proceeded to run the hairdryer meticulously over the keyboard. She
took a piece of paper out of the hairdryer, took it into a back room,
and returned a few minutes later to confirm everything was OK, and I
could take my laptop on board the plane. Never seen this done before.

Oh, and when I reached Manchester airport, my BG was 16.1. I'd
bolused very little on flight. But I'd rather arrive high than hypo,
which is my usual experience. CrossAir used to do delicious food on
these flights, but since the SwissAir debacle they seem to have cut
back, and they were now just selling (yes! selling...) drinks from
the trolley. Does this represent progress? Not sure.

mailto:email @ redacted