Re: [IPk] FW: blood glucose testing in the classroom

I'd completely forgotten about this, but when I was at boarding school (20
years ago now), home BG tests had just become standard, but no meters, just
the old BM visual strips (which, incidentally, I read in Balance last night
are being discontinued???). Anyway, I was made to go once a week 4 times a
day to the school nurse, who lived in a separate house on the school
premises. I had to get up early and go before breakfast (which meant having
to get the front door of the house specially unlocked for me by the
housemistress - or climbing out of the window which was less hassle!), before
lunch (a good 5 minute walk from the classroom, and another 10 minute walk
back to the dining room, by which time I missed half the meal after I had
waited around to have the blood test done!), after school (meant I had to
rush to get back for prep in time), before dinner (again, meant I was late
for the meal), and before bed....... As you can guess, I used to "forget"
quite a lot to go for the blood test.... At the time, I hated even talking
about diabetes, so I never complained and never brought the subject up. But
it was shocking really!  I wouldn't be so accepting of something like that
these days!!! The stupid thing is they were quite happy to let me take my own
injections and adjust my own insulin etc. (which I had been doing since I was
diagnosed at 7) but they wouldn't let me check my own blood sugar???