[IPk] pregnancy and dm

Today all that changed by one know-it-all consultant (not even part of
> the
> team but of the p-team) on the basis of one urine test after
> breakfast.
> it came back positive.  Then the interrogation started about how
> important it is to keep levels under control (as if I don't
> know....and after her being told my last HbA1c...) and how high levels

> cause problems for the
> (oh really?) and how it will now definitely have to come early.  Talk
> making someone feel down about themselves and even the baby!!!!
> On the way home I looked at my levels, and while I acknowledge my
> levels aren't perfect, these "highs" are one-off and there is no
> pattern too
> If there was, sure I would change my basals, up my boluses....
> But now I am just confused, really really  really upset, and I don't
> know
*       I want to be pregnant anymore because it is all doomed....

Hi Ingrid

Youll be fine, dont get brow-beaten by a medic who should know better.
I had 3 pregnancies in the early to mid 80s and the first one I had to
manage with visual BM tests.  The next one I had bought myself a monitor
at great expense and wasnt quite so troubled by the hypos.  My insulin
regime was nothing like as refined as it is now on a pump and HBA1c
testing was not in vogue.  I am sure I probably had quite variable blood
sugars at times and dropped badly while asleep.  The blotting paper
blood sugars were tested by the lab 6 in a day, 2 days a week.  These
were okay, but very hard to keep 2 hours after breakfast below 13mmol
but an hour later and it would be 6mmol.  My three children are now
almost all grown up, 2 at university and one doing A levels.  Dont
panic, try and enjoy your pregnancy is spite of having to be a
biochemist as you go about it!!  The use of a pump gives so much more
fine-tuning enabling pretty normal blood sugar profiles as demonstrated
by your HBA1c unless you are having masses of hypos.  The main thing is
to be alert to any delivery problem and correct before ketosis develops
which is a risk to the fetus throughout pregnancy.

DM 36yrs 3 pregnancies paradigm pump 5 months