Re: [IPk] changing insulin needs

In a message dated 12/16/2003 7:36:49 PM GMT Standard Time, email @ redacted
writes:

> Remember that it can take 4 units (or so) not getting delivered for a
> MiniMed 50-whatever model pump to tell you there's a problem.

Hi Fiona, also Melissa and all,

And don't forget that a) a right-angle cannula trapped above the skin can
 merrily leak away insulin without any alarms and b) one just under the skin,
too
shallowly sited, can still be delivering, but the insulin isn't being absorbed
well (although many hours later you may have an unexplained hypo...) - so you
won't necessarily get a pump alarm. After changing a site/set, I always check
for ketones whatever the bg, if bg high and no ketones I try a big bolus, and
if bg's not coming down as expected (allowing for the "exponential" effect
many of us see with high bgs) then change the site. (Obviously you will have
checked for other problems eg with the pump, infusion, etc.)

Different sites have different absorption profiles and your activity level in
general and at these areas will influence these.  In your job it might be
better to use leg/abdomen/back areas. Also, if you're a muscular and/or thin
lady, a site in/near your arm may mean that your cannula will kink when you
insert, especially if you're tensed up when you do this either positionally or
 naturally! I had a lot of trouble for the first few months of pumping with
exactly
the first problem, corrected by using the smallest cannula size and abdominal
sites.  I have also been using Quicksets for some eight months and have never
had any problems with cannula kinking, I had lots of trouble with the
SofSets.

HTH and hope your problems are solved soon,

Best wishes,

Mary
IDDM 30+ yrs, 508 3 yrs