Re: [IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #584

>Hi Maggie
>Our son started on his pump last Tues, we haven't been given any tables to
>work from. His basal rates are still being adjusted each day slightly. But we
>haven't any tables to work out insulin.
>Ryan has 0.5 units per 10g carb regardless of his pre meal BG. If he's low he
>has dextrose tablets (3 of). If he's high we have to use the 100 rule so ATM
>1 unit of novorapid brings him down 5.5mmol, what I have noticed the higher
>his BG the less effective the 1 unit is and I don't want to keep giving
> correction bolus's. Does anyone else use this 'rule' and how long do you wait
>giving correction bolus's?

Many people find that higher bgs need more insulin to correct (finding,
for example, that 1 unit at 9 drops the bg 4 points, but at 12 it only
drops by 3 points, and at 15, only by 1 point.  The way to work it out
is: experiment.

To work out how long to wait: work out how long it takes the insulin to
work (you can begin by looking at one of the graphs, and take it from
there).  Then work out how much of 1 unit has been used at the end of an
hour, two hours, etc.

Say you have a high of 12, and inject 1 units, which should bring your
son down to 6.5.  If for your son, the life of the insulin is 4 hours
(which is pretty typical, and about half is gone after 2 hours, you
would expect at two hours that the bg would be half way between 12 and
6.5 - i.e. at 9.2.  Now, say you find that it isn't 9.2, but is only 11.
You can now look at injecting further to bring down that extra 1.8
points - i.e. another 0.3 units.

Personally, I look for significant reduction after 1 hour (looking for
set failure), and then half way at 2 hours (to see if I am plummeting
too fast, or not fast enough).

Best wishes,

>Ryan is on 18 units of novorapid per day and he's had diabetes for nearly 7
>years so he's definatley not in honeymoon.
>Bye for now
>Denise mum to Ryan age 7 pumping 1 week & 1 day.
>contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)