Re: [IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #584

In message <email @ redacted>, Margaret Reid <email @ redacted
coe.org> writes
>Re Honeymoon period,
>thanks Pat for your response. I think I mislead you when I said
>he had dropped 1 unit off for breakfast etc. He takes 75 grammes
>carbohydrate for breakfast and when he left hospital, his insulin
>requirements were set as follows for the 75g-
>BG below 5,  6 units,
>BG 5-10, 7 units,
>BG 11-20, 8 units
>Now for 75g with  a BG below 5 he takes 5 units and so on.
I'm still muddled: if you get a bg of, say 12, do you bolus to bring
down to 6, and give 8 units for breakfast (because insulin resistance
increases with higher bgs?

Or are you muddling correction boluses with meal boluses?

>Jamie has insulin tables like this for all meals, related to his
>weight and Carbohydrate intake. We see that he has to take
>slightly less insulin for the 85g evening meal than the 85g
>lunchtime meal for each BG range. (half a unit less).

What do you do when he doesn't feel hungery, and only wants a glass of
orange juice for breakfast?  What do you do when he wants three slices
of toast, baked beans and two glasses of orange juice?
>He knows how to adjust boluses but we are not supposed to do
>this without consulting the hospital.

This is very old fashioned thinking!  I do suggest that you get the book
'Pumping Insulin', which will explain carbohydrate assessment to you.

You have a much more flexible way of management available to you, which
will reduce those hypos!

Best wishes,

dm 30+, 508 2+)
Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)