RE: [IPk] lack of knowledge was chemo update

 Ingrid wrote:
> Well I am going to have my own whinge now.  I am 16 weeks pregnant, and my
> last hba1c was 5.7%.  Everyone in the diabetes clinic at Kings thinks I am
> doing well, if anything running my levels too low.
> Today all that changed by one know-it-all consultant (not even part of the d
> team but of the p-team) on the basis of one urine test after breakfast.  Yes
> it came back positive.  Then the interrogation started about how important
> it is to keep levels under control (as if I don't know....and after her
> being told my last HbA1c...) and how high levels cause problems for the baby
> (oh really?) and how it will now definitely have to come early.  Talk about
> making someone feel down about themselves and even the baby!!!!
> On the way home I looked at my levels, and while I acknowledge my levels
> aren't perfect, these "highs" are one-off and there is no pattern too them.
> If there was, sure I would change my basals, up my boluses....
> But now I am just confused, really really  really upset, and I don't know if
> I want to be pregnant anymore because it is all doomed....

 Sorry to hear that you are feeling down. Your last HbA1c was really, really
good and you are doing a
 great job. I remember feeling terribly sensitive when I was pregnant and
getting upset over silly things
 especially if I felt anyone was being horrible to me. Of course in your case
you have every right to
 feel upset and again I expect this remark was down to a lack of knowledge about
diabetes and the P
 consultant was erring on the side of caution and felt compelled to mention the
sugar in the urine. ( just
 in case you hadn't grasped the point!!!!) These days most women with diabetes
do go on to have perfectly
 healthy children even those that are unable, for one reason or another, to keep
the blood sugar at
optimal levels.
 All those hormones racing around make it hard to have prefect control. I think
it sounds like you are
doing really well.