RE: [IPk] lack of knowledge was chemo update

> You might still have lots of explaining to do even if you were on
injections.
In my experience many doctors and nurses have scant knowledge about
injection regimens either.

Unfortunately I experienced this when taken to an A&E Department after a
Hypo episode - my girl friend had given me coffee with loads of sugar but
unfortunately 2 hours later I still couldn't communicate properly - this is
a common problem for me after bad Hypos - can take me up to 12 hours to
properly recover (longer if I have been Hypo for a while) The A&E Department
tested my blood sugar and it was 10mmol. Great I though I would be
discharged and left to recover in my own time. How wrong could I be! I was
presented with a pile of sandwiches and a sugar free jelly (don't know what
good they thought the jelly would do!) . Because I still couldn't talk (can
think of the words - just can't say them) I got up and walked out of the
hospital. The Hospital called the police, had me arrested and brought back
to them and their pile of sandwiches which the A&E Doctor said I had to eat.
When I refused - he called one of the Junior Hospital Psychologists, who
interviewed me then called a more senior Psychologist who also then
interviewed me and then called the Duty Psychologist together with someone
from Social Services. In effect they were trying to get me sectioned!
Fortunately as the time went on I became more and more communicative and
they finally agreed that I could be discharged! This whole process took
about 12 hours during which time I was accompanied by two police officers
and my girlfriend wasn't allowed anywhere near me!

What a waste of public resource due to the lack of knowledge of A&E staff
(and also the less co-operative side of me which comes out during and after
Hypos!) Its an incident that I can laugh about now but was pretty terrifying
at the time - I felt I came so close to being hospitalised for life.

Adrian
DM 20+ Years (Lantus + Humalog for not much longer!)