Re: [IPk] Honeymoon Period

In message <email @ redacted>, Margaret Reid <email @ redacted
coe.org> writes
>Dear IP group,
>I've heard a lot about the honeymoon period but don't know
>whether Jamie has been through it or not. Can someone help advise
>He was diagnosed the 22nd September and has been pumping since
>the 26th September. He is 11 years old.
>When he left hospital he weighed 36kg and was taking 32units
>approx humulog. 3 months later he weighs 42kg and takes about 30
>units but with more frequent hypos.
>Fortunately he has good hypo awareness - spots them at a BG of
>about 4.2  and we have reduced basals by about 0.5 a day in total
>and dropped 1 unit off breakfast and 0.5 unit off lunch (in
>discussion with the hospital).
>He is becoming increasingly worried that he is going to have
>more hypos because of the honeymoon period but we don't know
>whether he is in it or not or has gone through it. Help!

He should cope with honeymoon by reducing basals and changing the
insulin-to-CHO ratio.  Your saying '
>dropped 1 unit off breakfast and 0.5 unit off lunch (in
>discussion with the hospital).'
is very worrying.  You should be assessing how much carbohydrate is in
the meal, and working out how much insulin to give, not giving a set
amount of insulin, and hoping that it won't send him hypo.  Also, your
hospital should have taught you how to change the basal and bolus.

What will happen with honeymoon (it may be that he's started it), is
that he will need less insulin, so you will reduce it.  Then he'll need
more, and you'll increase it.  This kind of change is going to happen
throughout his life (short term with things like going on an active
holiday/not doing much exercise during exams, infections, etc, and long
term with hormonal changes, etc.  So it's a key skill which he and you
should acquire asap.  If your hospital doesn't teach diabetes
management, I think you should change to one that does.

Best wishes,

dm 30+, 508 2+

>Maggie mum to Jamie dx 22/9/03, pumping ever since (D-Tron plus)
>contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)