Re: [IPk] Are these BGs normal

> Hi there,
>
> OK, having only been pumping for a couple of days, I have to ask:-
>
> WIth the exception of fine tuning I've mentioned under a different
> thread, my BGs are getting more predictable almost instantly, and
> for the first time, I'm testing regular BGs of around 6 mmol.
>
> However, if I test between 30 mins - 1 hour of eating, my BGs can
> soar to 12 - 15 mmol, but come back down again after another hour.
>
> Is this normal, or should I be aiming for something else. I don't
> feel any ill effects, and can only assume that this is because the
> sugar in my food is absorbed before the corresponding Bolus.
>
> All the best

This is usually caused by the timing difference between digestion
and insulin activity. High glycemic foods like processed grain
(bread, ceral, etc.... ) that do NOT contain sweeteners are absorbed
converted to glucose and absorbed very quickly. If such foods are
sweetened with non-glucose sweetners. Then this will not be so
pronounced. i.e. a bowl of cornflakes is absorbed more quickly than a
bowl of Frosted Flakes. Intuitively you might not expect this, but
complex sugars require digestion in the gut and this is a slow
process compared to converting starch to glucose.

When you identify which foods do this in your diet, it is easy to
bolus a portion of your insulin 15 minutes or so before you eat to
counteract the high glycemic foods. See the web site FOOD page

http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/food.shtml

second link for Glycemic Index for more information.

Michael