RE: [IPk] Are these BGs normal

Dear Steve,

Relax--whoever told you that your bgs would be 5-7 mmol/L within 30 mins of
finishing a meal may have eaten some magic mushrooms! See
as well as
for time-action profiles on the short-acting insulin analogues (NovoRapid is
called NovoLog in the US).

It's important to know how long it is likely to take for your insulin to
work or you can give yourself crashing hyper-correction hypos (right, Mr
Neale? ;> Just teasing!). Remember that the higher your bg goes, the longer
it's likely to take to fix it. Going from 7 to 5 can take 30 mins or less,
but to go from 17 to 7 you might need 60 minutes to see any change at all.
It's all down to your individual insulin sensitivity, which you will figure

For a post-meal blood sugar, your best bet is probably to test 90-100 mins
after your last bolus. If you're high then, esp if you're on Humalog rather
than NovoRapid (NR starts working as fast as Humalog in many people, but it
takes longer than Humalog does to disappear from the system) you may need to
reconsider your carbohydrate:insulin ratio. Everyone needs a refresher on
carb counting every so often, so it might be worth seeing a dietician with
good experience working with MDIers and pumpers too at some point.

I remember thinking I was learning about diabetes all over again, from
scratch, when I started on a pump. I felt like I was being introduced to my
body: for the first time, I saw relationships among food and insulin and
exercise and my own hormones and glucose levels that I'd never been able to
appreciate. Have courage!

Type 1 10+ years, 'That's just me clicking/beeping' 7+ years
Oxford area contact, INPUT