Re: [IPk] first few days

email @ redacted writes:

> We were delighted to get Rob's pump yesterday morning and are currently
> doing
> the first week of saline. He seems pretty confident with it, but there are a
> few
> teething problems. He is only 10 years old and quite slightly built. Where
> should it be kept. We have tried his pocket, but because there seems to be
> quite
> a lot of tubing, it tends to hang around outside of his clothing and
> therefore
> could get caught. We have tried wearing the little "bum-bag" with it quite
> tight
> to his body, but this seems to be restricting his movement. Any clues from
> any
> other children as to what they have found the best to do. Also, any clues as
> how to "tie up" the tubing so that it is not quite so loose and hanging
> around.
> We would love to hear from anybody who has found a better "bum-bag" or
> system
> for hiding, protecting and wearing the pump.

Hi Jane

Ryan started with saline in his pump last Friday and changed to insulin on
Tuesday 9th. Our problems evolved around clothing and how to carry it.

What length tubing have you got we are using quicksets from minimed and are
using the shorter length I think it's 60cm (may be wrong as I'm at work and
can't remember) we have been tucking in the excess into his trousers.

Ryan hasn't got a belt yet but I've ordered one from the states so hopefully
we'll have that soon. At weekends and evening he wears combat trousers with
lots of pockets and that has worked well for us so far it's his school uniform
 that's a little awkward. He's gone in today with his pump on the belt clip like
a pager and not in it's leather pouch but then theres no protection around
the pump.

For bed I looked to see if I could see PJ's with pockets but couldn't so I've
bought so cheap jogging pants from ASDA with big pockets and they've worked
at night.

Which pump are you using?

Hope everything goes well

Denise mum to Ryan age 7 pumping since Tues