Re: RE: [IPk] bg testing in schools

> We had a good chat about diabetes as his wife has diabetes and is also a
> teacher at the school. I asked him where his wife tests if she feels unwell
> and he told me that she kept her meter in the staff room. I said that she
> might want to re-think that considering how important it is to deal with a
> hypo as quickly as possible. He said he will think about  bg testing in the
> class and let me know after xmas.

 Is his wife type 1 or type 2? Does she use insulin? Does she aim for tight
control? Some people (like my brother for eg) tend to run their blood sugars
high to avoid even the risk of a hypo. He is also unlikely to test if he feels
low and will just treat it, usually with something like a bowl of cereal. I'm
sure you can see the danger in comparing your DD's treatment to someone who
tackles their diabetes in this way.

best wishes,