RE: [IPk] bg testing in schools

Dear all,

I have just had a meeting at Amy's school with the head teacher, apparently
Amy took it upon herself to do a blood glucose test in the class
room(nothing to do with me). There was a supply teacher today who obviously
did not know the rules on bg testing at Amy's school. She felt a bit dizzy
and asked the teacher if she could test, the teacher said yes. This time Amy
was 14.1 and went along to the medical room for a glass of water. she met
the head and he asked her where she had done the test.

That's when I got a call.

We had a good chat about diabetes as his wife has diabetes and is also a
teacher at the school. I asked him where his wife tests if she feels unwell
and he told me that she kept her meter in the staff room. I said that she
might want to re-think that considering how important it is to deal with a
hypo as quickly as possible. He said he will think about  bg testing in the
class and let me know after xmas. I did make the point that Amy was not to
go anywhere if she is low and that recovery treatment must be brought to the
her in the future. I don't know what they are going to do if Amy feels ill
before xmas, we will have to wait and see.

I felt that the meeting was productive and that the head did listen to my
concerns. His concerns about bg testing in the classroom were that children
may lose concentration and be more interested in Amy then on what they
should be doing. I said that there may be an initial reaction but after a
while this would die down and that the kids would just accept that this was
something that Amy had to do to manage her condition and probably wouldn't
notice her doing bg tests after a while.

His other concern was blood in the classroom and all that goes with that. I
said that as his wife tests her glucose he should know that it only takes a
small amount of blood to test and that if Amy conducted a test at the back
of the class no one would come into contact with any. I said that someone
falling over in the play ground and cutting their leg would produce much
more blood than a bg test. I also mentioned that we change lancets at home
before school and when she gets home from school so sharp points would not
be an issue.

I informed him that other schools do allow bg tests in the classroom, I
would like to know the names of these schools so that he can get in touch
with them if he so wishes.

I do hope that the head makes a sensible decision, I must say that overall
he is an excellent head who has been very supportive in other on going
issues that Amy has at school.

As Amy has always done bg testing in the medical room, bg testing in the
classroom is a new issue for him.

I would value any advice on this topic in case we have to take this matter

Paul Hawkins dad to Amy aged 9 dx @6 and Thomas aged 9