From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On
Behalf Of Pat Reynolds
Sent: 10 December 2003 21:54
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] bg testing in schools

In message <email @ redacted>,
email @ redacted writes
> I am having a lot of problems with my 9 year old daughters school. They
>making her do her blood glucose tests in the medical room, which is a fair
 >distance from her classroom.I don't mind what I'd call a "routine" bg test
 >in the medical room but if she feels dizzy in the classroom they make her
>the medical room as well.My point is by the time she gets to the medical
>anything could have happened.My problem is made more difficult as it's not
>unusual for Amy to complain that she is dizzy when she is hyper.Ha anybody
>any suggestions?

Does she need assistance to do the tests?  If not, then I suggest that
she is given her own kit, and told to measure her bg whenever she likes.
Point out to teachers that any delay in making the measurement could
lead to a lawsuit - that leaving her alone to actually do the
measurement is not going to be a problem. My bet is, if she does it
discretely (in her lap) there isn't going to be a problem.  She should
do it once a day during lessons, so that all teachers get the idea that
bg measurement is just 'stuff that happens', like kids blowing their
noses or looking out of the window for 30 seconds - nothing to worry

If she needs assistance, then you have more problems, and I suggest that
if the teacher is not comfortable with providing that assistance, they
should be able to call by mobile phone to the school nurse or other
responpsible adult to come across and help. Again, it should be
something done randomly once a day, so it's 'normal'.

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, so there was no bg testing when I was at school - I do remember
feeling weary that it was always up to me to argue for what I needed,
Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)