Re: [IPk] Using inserters - US policy?

Actually i think Dr Pickup at Guys Hospital pioneered portable insulin pump
therapy back in the mid 70s.... but I could be wrong.

Medtronic over here tell me not to manually insert sets due to the high
risk of kinking during manual insertion without adequate speed - and having
had to do so with some Tenders I trialed and making a complete cock-up of
it (because of my phobia), I can see why. I may not have caused tissue
trauma with the Tenders, but certainly caused mental distress and required
a very long time to insert the damn thing and recover (a full adrenal
reaction, shakes, sweats etc - but HIGH BGs cos it had taken me so long to
pluck up my courage!).

Quite honestly, I think this is one of those "YMMV/QOL" questions. I am
quite happy to sustain a little tissue trauma (which has never been
apparent to me) in exchange for speed and ease of mind.

Incidentally, Helen, I was so dismayed to read your post about set traumas
- I just wanted to send you an overseas-online hug - but also make the
suggestion that you ask your hubby to physically help you with this. I
recently asked my hubby (a type 2 on insulin) to insert a Rapid clone for
me on my left buttock, simply cos I can't put them in left handed and
couldn't twist my way 'round that far. He didn't want to, but he did it
)and then started shaking etc). He did a wonderful job (this was the set
that lasted ten days, a record across all set types for me), and I was
surprised by his comments afterwards, since he has to inject insulin
himself. Things like "I didn't want to hurt you. Did I hurt you? Is it OK?
Is the insulin coming through OK? Why is the pump beeping? (it was saying a
square bolus had finished). How can you do that every 3-6 days?" etc.

It sounds as if with all your traumas you may have to try Rapids or bent
needle sets. They don't tend to last as long as others - but with your
track record they may do well! - but you can control the depth and you will
know almost instantly if something is awry with them.

Keep taking the Bach's :) Over here it is called Bach's Rescue Remedy - and
whilst i haven't found any measurable advantage to taking it within myself
I have heard a number of stories anecdotally and watched it calm my
occasionally obstreperous Scottish hubby, so I can't see that it hurts!

Most of all, hang in there :)

Tori (shutting up again now)