RE: [IPk] bg testing in schools

Hi Paul

 This used to be a terrible problem for us in the infant school before Sasha
could do her own blood tests
 as the school would not help her do them. Even though schools cant be "made" to
do them teachers or
 classroom aids could do them if they agreed. Sasha frequently said that she
felt dizzy when in fact she
was high not low.

 Eventually we had to go up to test ourselves. When Sasha was able to do her own
test she had to go to
the kitchen to test.  That was where all the other asthma meds and stuff was.

 When Sasha started junior school which is on a different site she was allowed
to have her kit in the
 classroom with her and test when she needs to. This actually cuts down on the
frequency that she tested
 as she feels more comfortable knowing that if she feels odd she can test. Her
kits is in an old lunchbox
 will labels stuff all over it saying diabetes kit. In it is a meter, glucose
tablets, party sized can of
 non diet coke, instruction sheet about what to do at different mmols levels.
When to take glucose
 tablets and how many when to call home. If she feels odd in class she just gets
her box from near her
 desk and tests. If nothing needs doing she doesn't necessarily tell the
teacher. If she is low she
 does/should and gets her glucose tables out. If its just before games and she
is not hypo but lowish she
 will have a biscuit (kept in cupboard). If she is high she phones for
instructions. She has insulin at
 school since about 6 months ago. The insulin is kept in the admin office in the
fridge out of the way.

 It was certainly much better when Sasha had her meter in the classroom. There
have been numerous school
 inspections, health, education/safety etc, of all sorts and one inspector had a
long chat to Sasha when
 she was doing a blood test one day (he was diabetic too) and no one has ever
said that there is a problem
 with testing in the classroom. Sasha does not change the lancets at school (I
know that it's
 recommended that you do this every time) but there is more of a risk of
stabbing herself (again) or the
 lancet rolling off on to the floor and being picked up by another child. I have
to own up to the fact
 that we don't change the lancets that often. Sasha says new one hurt more. I
think that you should go
 and see the school and ask them to have a rethink. After all its a very small
amount of blood involved
 and if you use one of the newer meters these days the strips "sip" up the tiny
drop of blood. Not like
 the great big drop you used to have to balance on the medisense card meter
Does someone have to go with your daughter when she goes off to test?
Can you get your D nurse to give any help

 Tell the school that nearly all schools now allow blood testing in the
classroom. Your daughter could
 have a quiet corner out of the way, if they still felt there was a problem. Its
stupid not to allow
 medical equipment in the class what to the do about wheelchair users and
children who need asthma
 inhalers. If they are allowed to keep these things in the class then blood
testing equipment should be
 also. Blood testing is a vital part of diabetes management Tell the school that
If your daughter leaves
 it too late to test, because she doesn't want to make a fuss and leave the
classroom or the medical room
 is locked or too far away, she could become too confused to do the blood test
the school could end up
having to call an ambulance.

 Do you know what there reasons are for sending your daughter to test elsewhere.
If she leaves to test
 she should then always be accompanied by a responsible person and I don't
suppose that the teacher can
just up and leave!

 Also ask the other parents on the UK parents list to see what happens at their