[IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #576

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 19:10:50 -0800

Mary Jo <email @ redacted>
I am a 46 year old insulin dependent diabetic. I have had diabetes since age
19. I just got the Paradigm 512 pump several days ago and will be starting
therapy soon.
Any comments or suggestions for a new pump user would be appreciated.

Dear Mary Jo,

I started pumping yesterday and so far so good. I am using the Paradigm 512
pump and am very pleased. it is very early days obviously and I am doing
blood tests every two hours in the day unless high or low and last night
tested at 0:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 8:00. It is comfortable and I have had no
problems wearing it - you do have to be more careful than previously
dressing and undressing though! I have been hypo and high but it'll take a
while to find out what the right amount of insulin is for me.

As far as advice goes, I would recommend reading as much of the information
as you can, that you should have received with the pump. Especially how to
program boluses and change basal rates, and carbohydrate counting if you are
not used to that.

It would be good to hear from a fellow pumper who has also just started,