RE: [IPk] soooooo depressing

Hi Julie,

If there's a woman in your PCT who has recently gotten funding for her
consumables, the PCT is not technically obligated to reimburse her for the
pump she bought on her own, but it is supposed to buy her a new pump if the
one she has now goes bust.

Things should improve. The fact that your PCT is complying with the last
clause of the Department of Health memo from July, not just deferring any
and all comments about pumps until 26 Feb 04, is promising. If you do choose
to buy a pump now the consumables ought to be covered if your daughter's
consultant says she has a clinical need for a pump. If you want the pump
plus the consumables to be bought by the PCT, you will probably have to wait
until February for everything to be official. Do give John Davis a ring
(click 'Contact us' on
http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/5726/input/home/ for details) for
more info. John is a walking treasure trove of pump funding info and

IMHO your daughter's consultant needs a clue: an HbA1c over 7.5 is not a
point at which to 'wait and see'. It should be a call to action. It might be
worthwhile reminding him that your daughter has a long life ahead of her and
every HbA1c while she's still growing and developing is an investment in her
longterm wellbeing. Plus, no one feels very good with an HbA1c over 8. It
just feels yucky. Sure, children are resilient, but insulin acts as a growth
hormone and Tasha's not getting enough of it into her cells at the right
times if her HbA1cs are high. My growth rate dropped by 70% in the 2 years
before I was diagnosed at age 12...having size 5 feet, I was probably meant
to get taller than 5'2". At least I have friends tall enough to get my post
out of my top-shelf pigeonhole.

Type 1 10+ years; MiniMed pumper 7+ years
Oxford area contact, INPUT