RE: [IPk] taking the pump off for a night

Hi Carmel

 It does sound heartbreaking that this child gets so upset. I have heard other
people say that their kids
 have never really got used to injections and still find it very painful. Though
they all seem to get
used to it in the end

 While not suggesting that it isn't painful for some children, I am wondering if
a lot of the screaming
 and crying is more of a protest against the diabetes itself and all that
entails, and the thought that
 the injection will bring pain, rather than the reality of the pain. It might be
that for a small child
 it's the only way to express their feelings of outrage that this has happen to
them and that life will
 never be the same again. Sasha is a very happy child that always looks on the
bright side of everything
 and has nearly always been like this, so apart from the early days she has not
really minded about the
 actually injections and they do not appear to hurt her very often, though of
course from time to time it
 does just go in the wrong place. The things that she minds about diabetes is,
feeling crappy due to
 being high or low not being able to eat just when she wants to. I think that
with a small child you
 just have to get on and do the injection, hold them tight and hug them and just
don't make too much of a
 big thing out of it. There is no choice about not having the injections, so one
just has to steel
 yourself and do it with as little fuss as possible, being very matter of fact
and reminding the child how
 ill they would feel if they didn't have the injection. I don't know what else
to suggest as your friend
 seems to be approaching things the right way. Sasha was four when she was
diagnosed. I don't know what
 to suggest about running the BG a little high. If his A1cs are ok then this may
be fine at the moment.
 Its quite hard to know what to do for the best. Maybe the mum should ask about
a different insulin
 regimen that might more helpful than Mixtard though of course if the boy is
still in honeymoon then maybe
its working satisfactorily for now.

 The other thing is to take him on a DUK support weekend and let him see other
kids injecting and meet
other children with diabetes.  This usually helps a lot.

 You could also get the mum to subscribe to the support list that I help to run.
Its for families of
 children with diabetes living in the UK or from the UK. Quite a few are members
subscribe to this IP
 list as well, but we discuss children's issues and school problems more on
there, than on this list,
 most of the parents have young children and the majority are using insulin
injection regimens. Quite a
 few have very young toddlers there are certainly quite a few parents with
children the same age as your
friends son.

If the mum has internet access she can subscribe by going to :

Scrolling down to: Geographical Mailing Lists

and clicking on the list for UK families.

 I don't know why you could get through to me off list. I will check if I have
accidentally "blacklist"
you on Mailwasher.LOL new toy.