[IPk] Singing and diabetes

>We found post-concert nerves/adrenalin affected him far more that the times
>zones we crossed. Any thoughts on this?

Barbara -

You may know - among various jobs I do - I work as a professional singer.
At the moment it's mostly opera chorus and oratorio soloist work. I
certainly enjoy it. I wish I knew answers to the nerves issue.
Pre-performance nerves are necessary, but over the years I have got more
and more secure in my singing technique, and more confident in my
performance style, so the nerves merely set me up ready to perform, and no
longer seem to play havoc with my BGs. (Years ago I played the violin a
lot, but I found my hands would sweat profusely when doing solo work, to
the extent that I could barely change position. My violin playing fell by
the wayside.) During singing performance, BG control is critical. A high BG
will thicken my chords, and make my voice less flexible. And one of the
first symptoms of a low BG for me is a weakened voice. Not much good if I
am singing an aria in front of a packed concert hall! I have on occasions
been known to check my BG (discretely) on stage during a concert.
Post-concert, I don't seem to have too much of a problem. Maybe I'm just a
cynical old pro ;-) No - in truth my BG does sometimes do funny things
after a performance, but I just tackle the problems as they arise - part of
the barely controlled chaos that seems to typify my diabetes control.

Don't know if any of this helps in any way. I wouldn't recommend a singing
carrier as ideal for someone with Type 1 diabetes. But if it's what you
want to do, and need to do, so be it...

mailto:email @ redacted