Re: [IPk] Infusion sites

In a message dated 12/22/2002 10:27:43 PM GMT Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Do either of these have a stainless steel needle?  I
> thought they were both soft cannulae.  Is it possible to insert manually, or
> do you have to use the whanger?
Hi Lesley,

I can only comment on Minimed Sof-sets and Silhouettes (haven't tried the
Quick-set). Both have a metal needle which is removed after insertion to
leave a fine plastic cannula inside you. The manufacturer's blurb says that
Sof-sets are ideally inserted with the whanger (proper name is Sof-serter and
it is designed to be used with these sets) but that they can be inserted
manually.  I've never tried as I was always afraid that the plastic cannula
would wrinkle up when I did... Silhouettes are intended to be inserted
manually, I found this easy but had so much trouble disconnecting (for
showers etc) that I stuck with Sof-sets.