Re: [IPk] Re:Dafne

>Thanks for that. I see what you mean! Basically, then, it is designed to do
>the same job as the pump?

Yes, in that both are designed to have diabetics controlling their
diabetes through self-administering insulin which they vary, to match
their basal and bolus needs, the latter largely determined by
carbohydrate assessment.

>I do count the carbs anyway, as that was the way I
>was taught when I was dx, many moons ago. I didn't like the bit about
>acccepting hypoglycemia as part of life, though. The DSN is saying that at
>the moment. I often wake up 'low', not very, but enought to give me a
>headache and be unable to carry out my normal activities. The mornings are
>the busiest time of the day, and the most stressful for me. I have to get the
>kids up and out to school..no easy feat with my two, I can tell you! If I had
>to wait for my BG to correct itself, (which I've been told to do as my BG
>rises mid morning, always has) I would never get the job done, never mind
>drive them to school. The professionals don't seem to understand this and are
>encouraging me to accept these lows and try and 'take it easy' until they
>right themselves! Ahem! In an ideal world maybe!

What!  They are encouraging you to drive while hypo?????  Do not do
that.  Ever.  Nor for 15 mins after you have got back into the normal

>Anyhow, the latest here in the dark ages is that the Health auth. (Morecambe
>Bay) have 'closed the door' on any pump use whatsoever since the NICE report
>came out. (I talked to a nurse I knew who is now job sharing with the other
>DSN..she's amazed that things are so behind here). Just wondered, as I'm
>seeing the consultant again in January (they brought my appt fwd as he's away
>end of Jan...it's awkward for me but they said if I couldnt attend on the 9th
>then it would be May)!, if anyone can explain in plain English exactly where
>things stand now with pump supply on the NHS, etc. I read the NICE doocument
>but it was a bit confusing to my CFS addled brain!

At the moment NICE are, or were (I forget the closing date) consulting
on the findings of their research.  Their findings are, in brief, that
CSII (aka 'pumping') is an effective treatment for diabetes, which is
well liked by those who use it, but it's more expensive than multiple
daily injections, which is the form of treatment which, in some studies,
does as well as CSII at controlling diabetes, and in others, slightly

They therefore are thinking of recommending that it CSII should be
available to those diabetics who have tried MDI, with several basal
insulins, including the new Lantus, but have found that this gives them
a choice between
a) recurrent hypos or
b) high a1cs
(The choice being demonstrated by patient experiencing both).

The NICE consultation does _not_ think that (a) is acceptable, and
points to the findings of DCCT to show that (b) is not acceptable.

As I said, I'm not a doctor.  If I were you, I'd try seeing what 15 (and
10 and 5g as dextrose tablets do when you wake up.  And then take 1/2 a
unit (or whatever's needed) 2 hrs (or whenever it's needed) before your
mid-morning peak.

I am sure there must be some way of getting the LEA to put pressure on
the NHS on the basis that you can't drive while hypo ...

Best wishes

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)