Re: [IPk] Education others about your pump

HI all,

My own way of telling colleagues what they need to know may (or may not)
be helpful...

On injections, I told people to 'watch for if I'm acting drunk, when you
know I haven't been drinking'.  And told them that if they thought I was
acting drunk, they should
a) if in doubt, call an ambulance
b) ask if I needed the glucose tablets in my desk, and if I said no, and
continued to behave drunk,
c) get them and open the packet and give them to me, and if I continued
to behave drunk,
d) call an ambulance.

I try and reassure people that I've never had a hypo which has needed
the assistance of a work colleague, and that this is something like the
'how to deal with a fire in the office' stuff - you need to know it, but
no-one is expecting it to happen, or for you to be an expert with
dealing with it - not intervening and getting the experts out is a
really good response.

When I got the pump, I re-inforced the 'what to do when Pat acts drunk'
rules, and said 'and ignore the pump - anything it is doing is going to
be having such a little effect, it's not a problem - the glucose tablets
will fix me and I'll be fine in five minutes or so, or if not, the
ambulance crew will fix me'.

 cvasssssv                         (says my cat Broggy, who just sat on
the keyboard)

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, clean-ish house)
Pat Reynolds