Re: [IPk] Education others about your pump

In a message dated 12/20/2002 8:38:51 AM GMT Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> If I find myself going hypo in the night I will usually fix
> it by setting a temporary basal of 0.0 for 1 - 1.5 hours and
> it fixes it a treat with no re-bound usually.  I usually
> prefer this to eating something sweet in the night as this
> can often make me sick

Hi Bev,

No problem with this at all - I do the same, although only if I'm heading for
rather than having a hypo as for me it takes 2-3 hours to have any effect.
The difference is that you're in control of things here.  The issues or
potential ones in the story I was relating are that no-one at work understood
what to do in the case of a hypo; and the person could have received no
insulin for some hours had no-one at the hospital understood what a pump is,
how it works and that there is no long-acting insulin on board.  The person
could then have gone to the other extreme (I certainly would have - I would
not have recovered for some time if given no glucose; if I'd been given
glucose in the absence of any insulin on board, my bg would have gone through
the roof followed not too long after by ketosis.) although hopefully they
would have recovered from their hypo in time to realise the problem and get
some short-acting insulin in!