[IPk] Re: Alcohol

I suspect this email may reach you during your Bacardi-induced hangover but

I have found that drinking Alcopops, especially very sweet ones such as
BB's/Smirnoff Ice send my blood sugar into the high teens, and unless a lot
of alcohol has been consumed, the sugars remain this way well into the
morning.  If you have one or two they are effectively like drinking coke or
lemonade; at higher quantities the alcohol will kick in later, and lower the
blood sugar

So my general advice would be to AVOID THEM, and drink low-carbohydrate
drinks such as Vodka/diet coke, vodka/diet tonic - this is particualrly good
as many other spirits are very sweet.

Alcohol is tricky as there seems to be conflicting advice.  The medical
profession say 'do not bolus for carbohydrate in alcoholic drinks for fear
of alcohol-induced hypo's, particularly while sleeping'.

If drinking one or two lagers/bitters/glasses of wine/alcopops (in
particular) I think most people on the list would agree that it is essential
to give a bolus??     I give two units of Humalog for a pint of John Smiths,
one for a pint of lager, and avoid sweet cocktails/alcopops

I haven't seen low-sugar alcopops in bars, which is surprising since they
are meant to be targeting women (and kids who love the sugar).....