[IPk] Education others about your pump

Hi all,

An earlier message about ensuring that someone knows what to do with your
pump if you go out clubbing but go hypo etc reminded  me of this true story,
which happened only recently.  (It wasn't me, by the way!!)

A pumper who worked in an office had told colleagues that they were on the
pump - but that was it.  So when, one day, the pumper went hypo at work, the
colleagues had no idea what to do with the pump itself.  Being lay people and
having no knowledge of how a pump works or how long it takes for pump insulin
to have an effect, they called an ambulance and cut the tubing so that no
more insulin would go into the person. They didn't give any CHO because they
didn't know that they should - they just thought that if the insulin was
stopped, the person would be OK.  At the hospital, fortunately there was one
enlightened member of staff on duty who understood pumps and the fact that,
even though this person was hypo and needed treatment, they needed to have
some insulin going in too.

Lots of lessons there. :-)