Re: [IPk] Diabetes symptoms??

In a message dated 12/19/2002 12:01:21 PM GMT Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> My oldest daughter keeps getting urine
> infections and has now got thrush again.  When she is home I think she
> drinks excessive amounts or water.  She lives away from home now so only see
> her every 3 weeks or so.  She literally walks around the house carrying a 2
> litre bottle of water sometimes. When she comes down with boyfriend in the
> car she never goes anywhere without a bottle or can of drink.

Hi Jackie,

Several possibilities here, and I'm sure others on the list will have more to

I don't know how old she is but I assume late teens or early 20s. Drinking
2-3 litres of fluid a day is normal, and she'll need more if she exercises or
drinks alcohol - so is she actually drinking excessive amounts?  I see lots
of young people walking around or on the bus carrying water/Coca Cola etc and
swigging it, some with large bottles especially when they're off to the gym.

A number of factors can cause people to drink more water/fluid. I won't bore
you with a list of conditions, but urine infection may cause folk to drink
more because they pass more, or they may (sensibly) have been advised to
drink lots of water or high water content drinks such as squash, fizzy drinks
etc.  Same goes for thrush.

I hesitate to ask this because of possible offence, none intended, but the
combination of urine infection, thrush, boyfriend and living away from home
usually means an intimate relationship which may be causing the problem in
the first place.  Once you get infection it can be a recurring problem.  I
can give advice off list if you want to go into this further.

And then there's diabetes.  Yes, could be a cause.  Formal bg
testing/investigation is an option if the above aren't pertinent.  After all,
she does have a family history!

Hope this is of some help,

IDDM 30 yrs+, 508 2+, medic 20+